Saturday 13 October 2012

Week 5


Activity 5.3 Cyberbullying and Social Media
In this activity, I assembled various internet resources on cyberbullying into a Symbaloo webmix. My resources were targeting toward secondary education students and for my reference in dealing with secondary students. Symbaloo is an interesting web tool for collecting resources together, especially by topic, and this activity has given me the tools I need to use it for other branches of my learning.


In developing two strategies for dealing with cyberbullying to use in the classroom, my first thought was to inform students as much as possible about how to behave when online, both for their own safety, and in respecting others online. The link 50 Crucial Rules for Online Behaviour was a very helpful starting point for this plan, as it covers such a wide array of online behaviours, though some of the advice is aimed at a slightly older audience, secondary students can still benefit from hearing those lessons early. Students should know that just because they are online does not mean that they can behave inappropriately, and what constitutes such behaviour on social media sites and the like. Also, for those students who are experiencing cyberbullying, I think they would find this link to be of use in helping them: How to make it stop.

The second issue I want to address with students is a simple one: that they can talk about their experiences. Victims of cyberbullying often avoid telling adults about their online encounters with bullies, and doing so online prolongs the problem. I will make clear to my students that they can talk to me about their problems, and I will help them make the appropriate decisions in dealing with them. Allowing students to talk to you discretely after class allows them to vocalize their problems without all their peers listening in, and not having that audience around emboldens students to come forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment